Two weeks ago, the Big Guy's youngest cousin, M, left western Wisconsin and headed to Cleveland to attend Case Western Reserve University. M applied to many colleges and had quite the decision to make.
But when you're offered a full ride, 4 year, academic scholarship....the decision becomes a lot easier!
Going to college is not only a right of passage, but is also scary. Anyone who has ever gone away to college knows that. I asked M for her address and wanted to send her a little care package.
Who doesn't like a college care package?!?
Here is what I sent her....
Isn't that fun? I mean who doesn't like Hostess cakes and pop tarts?
It did get me thinking about what I wish people would have told me before I went off to college. So I made my own list.
The Top 12 Things I Wish I Was Told Before I Went Off to College.....
12. It is OK to tell your roommate, "No, Cute Boy cannot stay over." and "No, I won't sleep in the lounge just so Cute Boy can stay over" and "I don't care, I live here, too."
11. When you come home from college, your mom will want to spoil you rotten and do your laundry. Let her do this. In fact, be prepared because every time she comes to visit you--or you visit her--she'll do your laundry and fold your underwear. It happens. Even in your 30's.
10. You may have been on the honor roll in high school, but when you earn your first "B" or "C" on a paper or assignment, be prepared for the professor to say, "I'm sorry....but your work is not "A" quality." I'm also sorry to say that the Chair of the Department of the Dean of the School don't care either.
9. I don't care how responsible you think you are..you don't need a credit card. Even if you get a free t-shirt, 2 liter bottle of soda or even tickets to some concert. PUT DOWN THE CREDIT CARD APPLICATION.
8. Ramen may taste good at 2:00 a.m. after you've been out all night drinking. But it's because of the 2:00 a.m. ramen binge that you won't be able to eat the stuff when you're out of college. Regardless of how cheap it is.
7. Always, always, always, go to a campus sporting event--even if you don't like the sport.
6. I don't care what your advisor says: don't take an 8:00 class. There IS another offering later in the day. Trust me.
5. You might feel safe on campus during the day, but at night, always call a guy friend to come meet you and walk you across campus. Shout out to Cody who would always do that for me, even at 2:00 a.m.. Thanks, buddy!
4. Pulling an all nighter is over rated.
3. Parties at fraternity houses may be fun at the time, but honestly, you don't want to be known as the girl who passed out in the men's bathroom with your pants down around your ankles. This is a story for another time.
2. Walking into your residence hall at 10:00 p.m. on a Saturday night with your hair done, makeup on and looking nicer than you do for class, with a back pack over your shoulder does not scream "I was just at the library." It says, "I have booze in my backpack."
1. No matter how sneaky you think you are, cramming 20 people into a residence hall room, with clinking bottles and saying "SHHHHHH!!!!" gives it away that you're having a party. EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.
What about you? What would you add to the list of "I Wish I Would Have Known" list?